Hi everyone, It is bit complex article, needs your patience to read. I will try to explain my knowledge & 14 year experience of soundproof windows in the simplest and most intelligible form, and on the whole in the sequence.
By soundproof windows, i mean unwanted sound proof or, better word to use is NOISE-PROOF. Now check following info to understand NOISE ??
To make a room noise- proof , we need to bring outside unwanted sound level ( i.e. noise) under 50 dB. To start with, We need to understand few basics…
Most of the time the problem is traffic noise which is low & medium frequencies.
Sound is measured on logarithmic scale, not on arithmetic scale.
In Sound 60 * 2 is not equal to 120 as sound is measured on logarithmic scale not arithmetic scale. Few more examples for clarification
For our ear, difference of
- 1 dB is virtually inaudible.
- 3 dB is barely audible.
- 5 dB is clearly audible.
- 10 dB is equivalent to a 50% reduction in the perception of the sound intensity.
- 20 dB is equivalent to a 75% reduction in the perception of the the sound intensity.
This difference of 20 dB or, 75% reduction is generally possible. I can say that it is better results of using noise proof windows.
I presume that i have covered WHAT part of the problem, now try to cover HOW it is possible part of the question.
There are two ways by which we experience noise, one is air-borne noise, other is structure-borne noise.
By Door/window, we can control air-borne noise, not the structure- borne noise. There are two aspects of noise reduction via Door/window.
Frame/sash material specification - All Door/window should be air tight. Let us define air tightness as following
- If you are choosing aluminium as an material in sash/frame then go with thermal break aluminium with multi point locking. In India, all thermal break aluminium door & window systems are imported from europe & you can find their acoustic performance or, noise insulation in their performance table as mentioned following -
You can see acoustic performance 35~39 dB in above performance table.
Pl note that non-thermal break system in aluminium are not as good as thermal break system. Even most of the products from renowned brand like alumil, schüco, reynaers, technal & other european make are not tested for acoustic performance or, noise insulation in non thermal version. Main reason for low product quality is due to price pressure of Project market. Also locking in most of the opneable & sliding windows are single point lock which again ensures poor noise insulation.
- If you are choosing uPVC Door/window as a material, go with Class A according to EN 12608/ or, GB/T 8814 ( wall thickness min. 2.8 mm) uPVC profile which gives approx. 42 dB noise reduction; These figures are for frame/sash irrelevant of glass ( Few European names to choose Aluplast, VEKA, Koemmerling, Rehau, Deceuninck, Salamander) . To know more about material specification read following link How to buy uPVC Door/Window in India ?
Don’t forget multi point locking in all uPVC Door/window which will ensure sash/frame alignment & avoid any kind of air leakage.
- If you are choosing Wooden Door/window as a material, go with brand which share performance table mentioned acoustic performance or, noise insulation.
Also worth to mention never go with sliding for noise insulation as conventional sliding door/window can NEVER be noise proof. ( It has less air tightness than as compare to casement system)
Gaskets make Casement or, openable superior product than Sliding for noise insulation.
Glass performance specification- There are few insights which i would like to share with you
- 12 mm glass has a better noise insulation rather than 24 mm ( 6 mm clear glass + 12 mm argon filled /or, air gap + 6 mm clear glass).
- Dissymmetrical Double glazed unit e.g. 23 mm ( 6mm clear glass+ 12mm argon filled/ or, air gap + 5 mm clear glass) has better noise insulation then symmetrical 24mm Double Glazed Unit.
- Acoustic PVB has better noise insulation rather than Normal PVB laminated glass only for high pitch sound. For traffic noises or, low pitch sound, both behave equally same.
Glass specifications are based noise insulation or, Acoustic comfort required as well as on selected uPVC/or, Aluminium/ or, wooden system's allowable glass thickness, weight capacity of available hardware.
Bottomline -The factors that affect the level of unwanted sound insulation provided by noise proof windows
- Air tightness of Door/window
- Aluminium/uPVC/Wood windows material specification
- In-situ sound performance also varies due to acoustic condition of environment ( type of sound source, location in relation to said source, etc. )
If you want to know more about noise insulation, Pl check following articles written by me ( I have written these articles almost 4 years back just to share my knowledge & on-site experiences without promoting any brand on this blog -Doorwindow Basics. This blog is created to help people understand Door/window system & choose according to performance & functionality required, not on the basis of attractive advertisements claiming no.1 company in India )
- Discover how one can improve noise free comfort at home………..
- Case study-Noise insulation of A Home @ Unitech South City , Gurgaon
- Case study-Making Absolute Quiet Home in Jaipur near Railway Track
- Case study-Mr. Saurabh Agarwal, MG Road, Gurgaon
Given the complex nature of sound proof windows, assistance from industry experts or, speciality consultancy or indeed test on site to be used may prove useful.
P.S. To reduce structure borne noise, noise barriers must be installed. Pl check following link to read more Barriers to filter out train noise near Jamia University - Times of India
Do you want any help for unwanted sound proofing. You can write to me on firstname.lastname@example.org. I can share my knowledge, experience for noise insulation.
Eloquently composed and well thoroughly consideredReplyDelete
First time I am visiting your site. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work. So I am regular user of this site. All the stories you shared here are interesting and excellent. It helps to boost the knowledge. Thank you so much and please keep sharing such informative post in future.ReplyDelete
Hey, I just read out your blog, it's quite interesting and informative thank you for sharing it, personally i like Handles4u for Door Locks they supply products to improve the security of your gates, garages and windows.ReplyDelete
This was very useful content for helping control outside noise. i learned a lot and looking forward for your next articles of soundproofing.ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing the best information and suggestions, I love your content, and they are very nice and very useful to us. If you are looking for the best Aluminum Die Casting, then visit Aluminum Die Casting. I appreciate the work you have put into this.ReplyDelete
Hi there, I read your blogs on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up! Thank You for Providing Such a Unique and valuable information, If you are looking for the best Magnesium Die Casting, then visit CNM TECH CO.LTD.I enjoyed this blog post.ReplyDelete
Very nice blog .Thanks for sharing good informative content for uPVC windows and doors.ReplyDelete
Soundproof uPVC windows cost in Cochin
uPVC windows and Doors in Cochin Kerala
It's a magnificent blog and it was very informative while reading. I look forward to reading more of your blogs. Get more info about Fotoselli KapýReplyDelete
It is truly a well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so engaged in this material that I couldn’t wait to read. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thanks. Keyword It is truly a well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so engaged in this material that I couldn’t wait to read. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thanks. plastering service providers sydneyReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing us. https://www.cambslockandsafe.co.uk/locations/ReplyDelete
Amazing stuff.Your knowledge about this subject is extraordinary.keep it up bro..ReplyDelete
Hi , can vertical sliding window( hung window) be effective against noise or not?ReplyDelete
No not at all as its interlock has brush seal in comparison to casement. Sliding window/ door has less air tightness than Casement window/ door hence less noise proofing.Delete
Specifically, the operate takes a shade as its argument and returns 1 if the color is purple. We liked truth that|the fact that} buyer help is available 24/7 and when we dealt with the stay chat agents we obtained quality assistance inside moments of asking our questions. However, what some gamers might discover annoying is truth that|the fact that} the stay chat function can solely be accessed after registering. This signifies that if you’d like search out|to search out} out somewhat more in regards to the 카지노 app earlier than deciding if you’d like to register or not you will need to make use of the contact form or ship the help team an e mail. Just thoughts that|remember that|understand that} there's a specific amount that needs to be wagered per week have the ability to} qualify so be sure to|make sure to|remember to} a glance at|try} the terms and conditions.ReplyDelete